Military Monday: Kellum’s Shoulder Domination Workout
Licensed coach and infantryman Chris Kellum has you coated head to toe along with his “Hybrid Warrior” coaching program, designed with the brand new Army Combat Fitness Test (ACFT) in thoughts. First, he supplied an upper-body routine right here on muscleandfitness.com; then a workout that blasts the legs, core, and lungs; and most just lately, a hardcore deadlift and back workout. Now, he’s blasting your delts from all angles with the shoulder domination exercise routine. Calling it “shoulder domination,” ought to let you know every part you may count on from this circuit exercise.
Featured coach: SPC Chris Kellum is a sniper workforce infantryman within the Florida Military Nationwide Guard. A NETA-certified private coach and member of the Bravo Sierra workforce, his mission is to encourage others by incorporating health and navy on his YouTube channel and documenting the method of transitioning to a warrant officer to go to flight college. All of his exercises will be discovered on his Playbook fitness app.
Gear wanted: Dumbbells (a number of pairs), landmine (with weight plate), resistance bands, barbell (optionally available), BOSU ball or stability ball.
Time dedication: Round 50 minutes.
Exercise overview: After an intensive warm-up for the shoulders, Kellum’s exercise breaks off right into a featured energy transfer, a trio of three-exercise circuits, after which a core finisher. Right here’s a fast rundown of every:
Kellum’s Shoulder Domination Exercise
Warmup (12 minutes)
Energy (Heavy) Work: Shoulder Press
It is a meat-and-potatoes elevate (urgent a bar or dumbbell overhead) carried out for 4 working units of 10, 8, 8, and 6 reps. You’ll wish to work as much as a heavy weight on these to extend your higher physique urgent energy.
- Shoulder Press
- 1-2 warmup units
- 4 working units of 10, 8, 8, 6 reps
- Relaxation 90 seconds between working units.
Circuit 1: Lateral Increase + Entrance Increase + Shrug (4 rounds)
These three single-joint strikes are finished with hypertrophy-friendly rep counts (15 reps per units) to assist construct muscle and supply stability across the shoulder joint. Hold the load pretty gentle right here and really feel a very good burn.
- Lateral Increase: 15 reps
- Entrance Increase: 15 reps
- Shrug: 15 reps
(Relaxation 45-60 seconds)
Circuit 2: Rotational Single-Arm Press + Landmine 180s (4 Rounds)
This circuit provides a torso twist to every train to work the core within the transverse aircraft, whereas nonetheless working the delts.
- Rotational Single-Arm Press (R): 8 reps
- Rotational Single-Arm Press (L): 8 reps
- Landmine 180s: 8 reps
(Relaxation 45-60 seconds)
Circuit 3: Thrusters + Swings + Planks (4 Rounds)
Every of those three workout routines includes the shoulders, however together with different areas of the physique. Thrusters convey within the decrease physique, swings your complete posterior chain, and planks core isolation (along with working the delts isometrically). The thrusters and swings can even present some anaerobic conditioning – not at all times enjoyable, however efficient.
- Thrusters: 15 reps
- Kettlebell Swing: 15 reps
- Forearm Plank: 1 minute
(Relaxation 45-60 seconds)
Core Work: Ball Crunch + Heel Faucets + Mason Twist (1-3 Rounds)
You’ll end the exercise with remoted core work to strengthen all of the midsection muscular tissues, together with the abs and obliques.
- BOSU Ball Crunch: 20 reps
- Heel Faucets: 20 reps per aspect
- Mason Twist: 20 reps per aspect
(Relaxation 15 seconds between workout routines.)
Cardio (Lively Relaxation)
No formal cardio right here; simply purpose to get 10,000 complete steps (strolling) for the day. Right here’s a tip from Kellum on simply get that finished: “After every meal, go for a 15- to 20-minute stroll — it should enhance digestion, and also you’ll hit your steps.”
- Shoulder Press: This may be finished with both a barbell or dumbbells. For a extra “useful” exercise that hits the core, do your shoulder (overhead) presses standing. In any other case, you are able to do these seated.
- Lateral Increase/Entrance Increase/Shrug circuit: These three workout routines will be finished with both dumbbells or kettlebells. “In case you usually do these lifts with 25 to 35 kilos, subtract 10 kilos,” says Kellum. “Really feel the burn with shorter relaxation and better reps.” That stated, you could want to make use of totally different weights for every of the three strikes – a lighter weight for entrance raises and heavier for shrugs.
- Rotational Single-Arm Press: It is a one-arm press with both a dumbbell or kettlebell the place you twist on the torso (within the path of the non-working arm) as you press the load overhead.
- Landmine 180s: Maintain the tip of the barbell in a landmine in entrance of you with arms prolonged. Transfer the bar from waist top on one aspect all the way in which to the opposite aspect, holding your arms straight all through and rotating on the torso.
- Thrusters: A entrance squat to overhead press in a single steady movement, you do that transfer with both a barbell or a pair of dumbbells. Deal with holding your again flat and core tight all through (don’t let your decrease again spherical).
- Kettlebell Swing: In case you don’t have a kettlebell, use a dumbbell and seize the edges on one finish firmly. Deal with the hip hinge with minimal knee bend and hold the core tight.
- Forearm Plank: Hold your core tight and physique in a straight line from heels to go, forearms involved with the ground.
- Bosu Ball Crunch: The Bosu creates an unstable floor, which makes the core work more durable to stabilize. In case you don’t have a Bosu, use a daily stability ball.
- Heel Faucets: It is a variation of a crunch the place each rep includes touching your hand to the same-side heel. Keep within the “up” place of a crunch all through and carry out a aspect bend for every rep. Alternate sides backwards and forwards.
- Mason Twist: Generally known as a Russian twist, sit on the ground along with your toes up, knees bent, and torso and thighs forming a V form. Together with your fingers collectively, decrease them to the ground proper off to the aspect of your hip by twisting your torso, return to center, and go to the opposite aspect. Do reps repeatedly aspect to aspect.